Family STEAM Night
2/24/2020 7:17 pm
THURsday, March 12th
6:00 - 8:00 pm
Bring the whole family for an evening of fun, discovery and science learning!
- Try different hands-on activities related to science, technology, engineering and math
- Explore the solar system, Moon & Earth inside the Dome Theater
- Discover all the students inventions at the CRES STEAM Fair
- Explore student creativity and artistry at the CRES STEAM Fair art gallery
WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!
Please sign up to help! Without volunteers, we cannot have all of the fun hands-on activities for the kids!
Dome Theater Shows
Earth's Wild Ride
Experience a heart-pounding ride though Earth’s wild history from the eyes of a hypothetical future lunar colony!
Note: This show starts before 6pm to allow time for 5 shows
In the digital dome adventure Molecularium, audiences are transported into the world of atoms. Enjoy learning about the water cycle, the three states of matter, and how everything is made of atoms and molecules. Your class will be singing and laughing with these characters!
Learn about meteors, meteorites, asteroids, comets, and the dangers they can pose to life on Earth.
Dive into a world of hidden relationships & witness the global influence of life civilization of this vibrant world!
Apollo & Beyond
Explore the other worlds in our solar system, imagining how we might live and have fun there.
* All movie content is suitable for all grade levels. The grades listed reflect each movie’s alignment to the curriculum set in the National Standard of Learning Guidelines.
Tickets On Sale starting Feb 26!
$7 / PTO Member
$9 / Non PTO members OR at the door
Space is limited! Get your tickets early!
Pizza, snacks, and more will be available from the concession stand.
Questions? Contact Tim Judkins at email@example.com
CRES Talent Show Auditions
2/17/2020 9:28 pm
CRES Talent Show Auditions!
CRES Talent Show Auditions!
Sign up to audition for the annual CRES Talent Show! Auditions will occur on February 25th and 26th, but you should sign up this week for an audition slot.
3 important steps for auditions:
- Select Timeslot – using the Signup Genius link select your time. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/crestalentshow2020
- Complete Registration Form - Each must fill out one Talent Show Registration Form (Google doc, one per act) prior to auditions. https://forms.gle/XAusm6odmS1W8nrH6
- Read Guidelines & Sign Parental Consent Form - Each participant must bring a signed consent form to Auditions. The Guidelines provide important information about the shows, including the maximum length of each act. CRES TS Guidelines & Parental Consent Form 2020
A few reminders for this year’s shows:
- Group acts – we love to see kids collaborate and come up with great routines!
- Solo acts – we are permitting solo acts this year! We will have up to 8 solo acts per show, and the spots will be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis when signing up for any audition slot.
- Multiple acts – we will allow kids to do up to 2 group acts on an exception basis so that we get as many different kids to participate together. However, if your child chooses one of the limited solo act spots, they cannot also do a group act. Our goal is to showcase as many students as possible, and we want to ensure all who want to shine are given the chance. Thank you for understanding.
Wednesday, Feb 25th 4:30-6:00pm in the CRES Theater
Thursday, Feb 26th 4:30-6:00pm in the CRES Theater
MANDATORY DRESS REHEARSAL DATES:
Monday, March 30th 4:30-6:00pm (Grades K-3)
Monday, March 30th 6:00-8:00pm (Grades 4-6)
*more details and precise time slots for rehearsal will be provided later
TALENT SHOW DATES:
Wednesday, April 1st @ 6:30pm (Grades K-3)
Thursday, April 2nd @ 6:30pm (Grades 4-6)
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter BASA Registration
12/10/2019 10:33 pm
Registration opens Thurs, December 12 at 8 AM for Winter BASA classes. Registration is open until January 8th, 2020. Don't delay, classes fill up quickly! For more information and the list of classes, click here.
Classes run between January 13th - March 6*
*Actual end dates depend on the length of the session.
Questions? Email email@example.com
PTO Donation Drive
9/30/2019 8:03 pm
Your support allows the PTO to produce the fun events that bring our community together and to support the supplemental school programs that help our students excel.
Many of CRES's award-winning programs and services are made possible only through the funding from our PTO operating budget. Direct donations are our major source of revenue. The Direct Donation Drive allows 100% of each family's donation to directly and immediately benefit your children and our school community. Your $25 family membership enables the PTO to produce a fantastic year of community events like the Family Science Night, Talent Show, Culturama, and Family Movie Night, and your tax deductible donation of $125 per student directly supports the PTO-funded enrichment programs.
The CRES PTO annual operating budget directly enhances our children's learning experience and enriches our school community. Just a few of the educational and community-building programs and services made possible by the CRES PTO include:
- New Laptops for mobile computer lab
- STEAM Lab
- Curriculum enhancement (violin for 3rd grade, William and Mary Advanced Academic Curriculum)
- Computer Lab
- World Languages including the Spanish Program with both teacher-led classes and Rosetta Stone
- Support for Academic Competition Teams, e.g. Science Olympiad, Lego Leagues and Odyssey of the Mind
- Art Plus Program
- Character Education Program: Project Shape the Future
- Support for grade-level events and academic enrichment activities
- Room parent program
- Teacher support programs
- Website and bi-weekly newsletters
We understand that every family's situation is different and we warmly accept donations of any size.
CRES Food Rescue Program
9/17/2019 10:16 pm
CRES students will once again be collecting leftover, unopened food and beverages from lunch to donate to Cornerstones Emergency Self-Sufficiency Services. Located in Reston, VA just 12 minutes from CRES, Cornerstones provides healthy food and supportive services to homeless and low income individuals and families, enabling them to work toward a goal of self-sufficiency.
While the 4th graders will be responsible for collecting the unopened items in the cafeteria, we need parent volunteers -- from all grades -- to assist with delivering the rescued food every Tuesday and Thursday through the end of the school year.
Volunteers will be taking food from the CRES Cafeteria via provided or personal coolers and bags anytime between the specified time frames, delivering them to the Cornerstones Pantry and completing a donation form. Volunteers using CRES provided coolers and bags are requested to return them the following day.
Sign up here starting today to help deliver food.
For more information please contact Tonia Powell, the CRES Food Rescue coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.201.1922.Read More
8/31/2019 12:00 am
Are you looking for ways to get involved? We've got you covered! From opportunities in the classroom to school wide events there are so many ways to participate at Colvin Run and make a difference in your child's elementary school experience! We have several upcoming volunteer opportunities. Please join us!
CRES Food Rescue Program - Sign up
Each Tues and Thurs afternoon
We need parent volunteers -- from all grades -- to assist with delivering the rescued food every Tuesday and Thursday through the end of the school year.
Open Volunteer Positions
|Classroom Volunteers||See Classroom Volunteer Opportunities|
Academic Team Info Session
8/1/2019 11:31 pm
Information Session on CRES Academic Teams!
Thank you to those parents that could join us at the information session for CRES Academic Teams. Please find links to the presentations from the Information sessions below.
- Lego League
- Odyssey of the Mind
- Science Olympiad
- Math Counts
No deadline. Parent volunteers needed to form teams
Feng Guo and Ingrid Li
Deadline 9/18. Can extend if there are not enough participants.
Science Olympiad – Div A
8/29 – currently waitlisted
Science Olympiad – Div B
Registration will likely open mid-September. To be confirmed.
Odyssey of the Mind
Deadline - 10/4
9/6 – 9/18
Questions? Please contact team leaders or general liaison Radhika Yathin at email@example.comRead More
Get important PTO announcements and information about events by signing up for the newsletter!